The Consortium of Pacific Northwest Herbaria (CPNWH) provides access to collection data from multiple institutions. These institutions have agreed to make their data available for scientific research and for public information and education. Use of any specimen data accessed through the CPNWH web site requires agreement to the terms and conditions in the following data usage policy:
- The quality and completeness of data cannot be guaranteed. Users employ these data at their own risk. Data users are encouraged to personally verify data before use in critical applications.
- Data accuracy and content is determined by the individual providers. Data errors should be reported to the original data providers.
- CPNWH does not assert intellectual property rights over the data made available through its network. Data providers retain all rights to the data they share.
- Users shall respect restrictions of access to sensitive data such as localities for plants of conservation concern.
- In order to make attribution of use for owners of the data possible, the identifier of ownership of data must be retained with every data record.
- Users must, in conjunction with the use of the data, acknowledge the data providers whose specimen data they have used.
- Users must comply with additional terms and conditions of use set by the data provider. Where these exist they will be available through the metadata associated with the data and/or on the Provider metadata page.
Data providers must agree to the Data Sharing Policy.
You may use the following format to cite data obtained through the PNW Herbaria Portal:
- Herbarium specimen data provided by: [list of providers] (Accessed through the Consortium of Pacific Northwest Herbaria web site, www.pnwherbaria.org, YYYY-MM-DD)
- Herbarium specimen data provided by: Oregon State University Herbarium, University of Idaho Stillinger Herbarium, University of Washington Herbarium (Accessed through the Consortium of Pacific Northwest Herbaria web site, www.pnwherbaria.org, 2011-08-27)