By sharing data through the Consortium of Pacific Northwest Herbaria (CPNWH), data providers agree to make their data available for scientific research and for public information and education. Data providers must agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Specimen data accessible through the CPNWH web site are openly and universally available to all users within the framework of the Data Usage Policy and within the terms and conditions that the data provider has identified in its metadata.
- CPNWH does not assert intellectual property rights over the data made available through its network. Data providers retain all rights to the data they share.
- The data provider warrants that they have made the necessary agreements with the original owners of the data and have obtained rights to make the data available through the CPNWH web site.
- The data provider makes reasonable efforts to ensure that the data they serve are accurate.
- CPNWH restricts access to sensitive data through its web site; however, the provider of the data may also wish to block such sensitive data within the dataset they provide to CPNWH.
- The data provider must provide a stable and unique identifier for each record in their data so that the owner of the data can be known.
- CPNWH caches, on its web server, a copy of the data made available by each provider, to be used in accordance with the terms and conditions set forth by the data provider.
- CPNWH is not liable or responsible for the data contents, or for any loss, damage, claim, cost or expense however it may arise, from an inability to use the PNW Herbaria Portal.
Data users must agree to the Data Usage Policy.